The Kingston Arms, forming part of one of the finest Georgian Squares in Ireland, was originally built in 1780 by the Earl of Kingston. It is laid out in a beautiful and tranquil landscaped area, separated from Kingston College by a tree-lined avenue which formerly led to Mitchelstown Castle, destroyed by fire in 1922. The remnants were removed, stone by stone, and transported to Mount Melleray Abbey near Cappoquin in Co Waterford, where they were used to build a new Cistercian Monastery.
The title to the Kingston Arms devolved from the Kingston Estate to Mitchelstown Co-operative Agricultural Society Limited in 1935, and to Dairygold on the merger of Mitchelstown and Ballyclough, in 1990. The property was purchased from Dairygold Co-op in December 2005, by its current owner who became, effectively, only the third owner of the property in well over 220 years.
The Kingston Arms had very close connections with such local “big houses” as Mitchelstown Castle, and Bowen’s Court.